Research Projects within Orthaber Group
Molecular Maingroup Chemistry
- Organorsenic based ligands for catalytic applications and supramolecular chemistry
- Organophosphorous compounds in unusual bonding situations for Organic Electronics
We bring color into organophosphorus compounds:
Organorsenic based ligands for catalytic applications and supramolecular chemistry
We explore low valent and low coordinated arsenic compounds and their application in homogenous catalysis. The low-valent organoarsenicals are heavier analogs to well explored phosphorus compounds and provide outstanding properties such as strong π-acceptor strengths combined with large Tolman “cone” angles (Θ), however arsinines, arsaalkenes and arsoles as ligands for catalytic applications have hitherto been greatly overlooked due to falsely imposed toxicity.
See our lates paper on arsoles, their coordination chemistry and their performance as ligands in catalysis:
- Gupta, A. K.; Akkarasamiyo, S.; Orthaber, A., Rich Coordination Chemistry of π-Acceptor Dibenzoarsole Ligands. Inorg. Chem. 2017, 56 (8), 4504-4511. link
Organophosphorous and -arsenic compounds in unusual bonding situations for Organic Electronics
We explore the use of molecular main group compounds as novel building blocks for applications in organic electronics, such as thin film transistors (TFTs), organic field effect transistors (OFETs), or organic light emitting diodes (OLEDs), or electrochromic materials.
Phosphorus based systems such as phosphaalkenes and phospholes have recently attracted considerable attention as conductive materials or in lightning applications. Through collaborations with S. Spirk and Z. Zhang we investigated the use of Phosphorus-based building blocks as novel components in organic electronic devices. Recently, we have also explored low valent arsenic compounds in pi-conjugated polymers.
See our lates papers:
- Morales Salazar, D.; Mijangos, E.; Pullen, S.; Gao, M.; Orthaber, A. Functional small-molecules & polymers containing P=C and As=C bonds as hybrid p-conjugated materials. Chem. Comm. 2017, DOI: 10.1039/C6CC08736A link
- Shameem, M. A.; Esfandiarfard, K.; Öberg, E.; Ott, S.; Orthaber, A. Direct, Sequential, and Stereoselective Alkynylation of C,C-Dibromophosphaalkenes. Chem. Eur. J. 2016, 22 (30), 10614-10619. link
- Morales Salazar, D.; Gupta, A. K.; Orthaber, A., Reactivity studies of an imine-functionalised phosphaalkene; unusual electrostatic and supramolecular stabilisation of a [sigma]2[small lambda]3-phosphorus motif via hydrogen bonding. Dalton Trans. 2018, 47 (31), 10404-10409. link
See our review:
- Shameem, M. A.; Orthaber, A. Organophosphorus Compounds in Organic Electronics. Chem. Eur. J. 2016, 22 (31), 10718-10735 link