Postdoctoral researcher in computational biophysics, with focus on artificial intelligence in structural biology.
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
Department of Chemistry – BMC conducts research and education in analytical chemistry, biochemistry and organic chemistry. More than 100 people work at the department. New employees and students are recruited from all over the world and English is the main working language. The department is located at the Biomedical Centre in Uppsala, which facilitates collaborations with research groups in biology, pharmacy, medicine and SciLifeLab and gives access to advanced infrastructure for experimental and theoretical studies. You can find more information about us here.
We are searching for a postdoctoral researcher/fellow in computational biophysics, with focus on artificial intelligence in structural biology.
The position is placed in the Westenhoff research group. The team has the goal to uncover structural dynamics of proteins and chemical reactions. The research at the interface of biology, chemistry and physics has resulted in two ERC awards and other high profile grants, and the group continuously publishes in widely recognized journals. Find more information on: http://www.westenhofflab.net/ and on google scholar.
The project: We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher to apply machine learning and artificial intelligence approaches for protein structure prediction and for combining these with the analysis cryo EM data and serial X-ray crystallography. The project also aims at preparing a national infrastructure for proteins structure prediction. We welcome applicants, who contribute own ideas on the project design.
The work duties: Your work duties may be adjusted, depending on the project design and your personal preferences, They may include:
- Research within the specified project.
- Computational analysis of single-particle cryo EM and/or serial crystallography data with AI or machine learning.
- Application of machine learning approaches to protein structure prediction.
- Work towards an implementation plan for a national infrastructure for proteins structure prediction.
Required qualifications: To qualify for an employment as a postdoctor you must have a PhD degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a PhD degree in a field, for the employer relevant to the project. The PhD degree must have been obtained no more than three years prior to the application deadline. The three year period can be extended due to circumstances such as sick leave, parental leave, duties in labour unions, etc.
You are required to have:
- Hands-on expertise with advanced computational data analysis and/or programming in biophysics, structural biology, or chemistry.
- A very good publication record and publication pipeline, which demonstrates scientific maturity and productivity.
- A track record of scientific independence, creativity, team work and results orientation.
- The ability to express yourself in spoken as well as written English.
We prefer candidates, which have:
- Experience with machine learning and artificial intelligence applied to problems in biophysics or structural biology.
Application: The application should include:
- a brief letter of intent describing yourself, your research interests and why you are suitable for the position.
- a CV with publication list.
- a copy of your PhD degree, your grades and a copy of your thesis (can be provided as a link).
- name and contact information to at least two reference persons (e-mail address and phone no.).
The application should be written in English.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible, or as agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position for 24 months, according to central collective agreement.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
For further information about the position please contact: Prof Sebastian Westenhoff Sebastian.Westenhoff@chem.gu.se, +46 766 18 3936.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than October 28 2021. UFV-PA 2021/3516.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Chemistry - BMC
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/3516
Last application date: 2021-10-28